Standing up for our rights: How can we support human rights defenders?
Each year, the Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought is awarded to human rights defenders from across the globe, to recognise their vital contribution to protecting human rights and the freedom of thought. The 2020 Sakharov Prize has been awarded to the democratic opposition in Belarus for their courage, resilience and determination.
Yet human rights defenders across the globe are facing mounting threats and attacks for their work.
- What can the European Union do to better support human rights defenders?
- And what can you do individually to defend our human rights?
- What organizations or people do you see as the most important human rights defenders today?
- What do you perceive to be the biggest challenges to human rights?
- Which human rights do you think need most defending today?
Share your idea
Try to be as concrete as possible when sharing your idea. The more in depth you go the more impactful your answer will be.